[OpenSCAD] two bugs

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Thu May 14 12:21:43 EDT 2015

On May 14, 2015, at 11:40 AM, jon <jon at jonbondy.com> wrote:

> Bug 1: if you align the visualization as shown in the screen shot, there is a "ghost" that is sometimes visible.  This can be confusing and distracting: is it really there or not?

Add ‘convexity=3’ as a parameter to import(). This is to tell OpenSCAD that your imported geometry is has high depth complexity.

> Bug 2: if you now compile with F6, the mold disappears and a triangular solid appears.  The "difference" has vanished.  So, the mold is effectively useless.

This is because your imported STL has degenerate features not supported by OpenSCAD. Typically, this means you have “zero area triangles” - triangles where we can’t deduce a normal vector. Our geometry engine (CGAL) doesn’t support this. It’s a known issue and pretty annoying indeed.
See https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/945 and https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/1042

 -Marius