[OpenSCAD] minkowski - how to keep exact dimensions

Stefan Krister stefan.krister at creative.chaos.de
Wed May 6 04:43:24 EDT 2015

Hi,

I'm currently helping a girls high school class to develop a bracelet
which is able to charge a battery by solar cells and give that energy to
a smartphone.

They asked me to do a 3d sketch to play with the design. Here is what I
have so far:

diameter=200;
width=40;
height=10;
roundness=4;

$fn=100;

color("DeepSkyBlue")
minkowski()
{
	sphere(r=roundness);
	hull()
	{
		cylinder(h=height / 2 - roundness, d=width / 2);
		translate([diameter, 0, 0])
			cylinder(h=height / 2 - roundness, d=width / 2);

		translate([diameter * 1 / 4, 0, 0])
		 cylinder(h=height - roundness, d=width);
		translate([diameter * 3 / 4, 0, 0])
			cylinder(h=height - roundness, d=width);
	}
}

I would like to have the lenght of the bracelet the exact value of
"diameter", as well as the middle part should not be greater than
"width" and "height". I did a few experiments by subtracting from these
values but it is not easy to get a exact result. What should I do?

Bonus question: Besides that the bracelet will be printed flat with
NinjaFlex to be bendable, I would like to have it already bended in the
preview. How can I do that?

Regards

Stefan
--