[OpenSCAD] new "Special Variable"?

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Tue May 5 15:33:15 EDT 2015

On Tue, 05 May 2015 12:08:29 -0700
"Yvette S. Hirth, CCP, CDP" <yvette at dbtgroup.com> wrote:

> On 05/05/2015 11:33 AM, G. Wade Johnson wrote:
>
> > I use a real version control system for this (currently, git) But
> > then, I'm a programmer, so version control makes sense.
>
> well gee gosh, i've been a programmer since 1967, i.e., for 48 years,
> and personally, i loathe version control systems.

Sorry to hear that they don't work for you. I made the comment mostly
because not all OpenSCAD users are programmers and it has been an issue
before.

I meant it as an explanation for my usage, not to be condescending.

> > Every system I've used in the past with special names or strings
> > built in to the text has failed because of the extra, independent
> > manual process of updating it.
>
> which is what i'm trying to avoid.
>
> > So I use a tool built for that purpose.
>
> you use the tool you want; i'll use the tool i want.
>
> also, for ec/code stamping of large, complicated products with lots
> to engineer, one could stomp the entire filename into a piece.  can't
> do that with version control.

I just hate working with systems where there are a whole bunch of
copies of the same code with slightly different filenames. But, if it
works for you, I'm happy it works.

G. Wade

> yvette

A 'language' is a dialect with an army.