[OpenSCAD] Preserve "holes" in module objects

jellsworth jerry.ellsworth at gmail.com
Fri May 1 21:29:48 EDT 2015

Apologies if this is an old question or too basic. I have been looking, but I
have not found an answer.

My issue is, I am using a module to create a somewhat complex object, let's
say a cube with a threaded hole. I then want to use that module multiple
times in a union with a larger object, let's say to add feet to a larger
cube that can accept bolts. My obvious problem is that in the union, the
larger object fills in the threaded hole I carefully created in my module.

I realize that I could fix this by creating and calling separate modules for
the smaller cubes and the threaded holes, but that gets unwieldy quickly as
that module object gets more complex.

*Is there a way to preserve critical "empty space" in an object created by a
module, even when embedded in another object?*