[OpenSCAD] New 3MF file format

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri May 1 15:07:26 EDT 2015

> We have a lot of Windows users, so it's possible that at some point, there
> could be user demand for the ability to import/export 3MF. Microsoft will
> want us to support this feature, in terms of their overall goals for 3MF,
> so it's unlikely that they would sue us for implementing 3MF import/export.

Microsoft will sue or threaten to sue whoever they like for whatever
reasons they like if they calculate it benefits their "shareholder
value". It's not even to condemn them for it. They are US a corporation.
It is their duty to their shareholders to do so.

> Yes, I know it doesn't work that way for open source projects implementing
> audio/video codecs, but I think this is different. Microsoft wants to use
> 3D printer support as a new way to drive people to use Windows, and they
> won't succeed if they demand licensing fees from every open source project
> that tries to support their 3D printer interface. And I think they
> understand that.

Big US corporations also understand that if they get around to having some
proxy company sue people once the standard is well established they win.

> I am also not a lawyer.

I'm just a cynic but I would get close to a Microsoft "standard",
especially a FRAND one approximately the way you'd get close to someone
with ebola.

Alan