[OpenSCAD] Surface() from PNG and difference()

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Wed Apr 29 14:04:36 EDT 2015

On 04/29/2015 07:01 PM, MLewis wrote:
> I've got a PNG that I want to "stamp" into the side of an object. To test
> this, I created the following code:

Try scaling down the image a bit. The way surface() creates the object is
not ideal for this type of usage as it creates a huge number of vertices
making the difference very slow.
The option to import images as 2D shape will hopefully come soon, that
would probably make things quite a bit faster, e.g.
(https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/1110). To get a similar result
it would be possible to convert the image to DXF using inkscape.

With size 200x212 the model renders in 48 seconds on my notebook.

ciao,
   Torsten.