[OpenSCAD] bend a pipe/tube

Ralf Schlatterbeck rsc at runtux.com
Wed Apr 29 11:39:59 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:31:56AM -0400, Marius Kintel wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2015, at 05:57 AM, biskero <biskero at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But I wanted to do it with a cylinder (in my case is a tube of oval section)
> > and apply a curve/bend at certain point to have one section straight and
> > rest shaped with that curve/bend.
> >
> There was a very similar feature request for this a while back:
> https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/815

I've recently done something similar, in my case I've used the
combination of cube and (difference of) cylinder to create a small
skeleton outline, and then use minkowski with a sphere on this skeleton.

The cross-section of the resulting object isn't perfectly round (but the
smaller the skeleton is compared to the sphere this doesn't matter).

This gets painfully slow on rendering, though (but I've probably used
too many faces).
In my case I've computed the difference of two such objects (with the
second one translated).

The resulting STL is here:
http://project.runtux.com/lawnmowerpart.stl
the OpenSCAD code is on github:
https://github.com/rsc3d/rsc3d/blob/master/lawnmowerpart.scad

The relevant code is in the module "bow" (and "bows" to compute the
difference).

Ralf
--
Dr. Ralf Schlatterbeck                  Tel:   +43/2243/26465-16
Open Source Consulting                  www:   http://www.runtux.com
Reichergasse 131, A-3411 Weidling       email: office at runtux.com
allmenda.com member                     email: rsc at allmenda.com